Sunday, April 4, 2010

Living a Life of Passion

Universe

You know the saying ‘live every day as if it’s your last’? We have all heard it but forget soon after and go about our daily business. I’ve realized that we can’t be certain about life after death; this impending nothingness, a the world continuing on without me in it, the impending eternal black empowers me to live each day with passion. Here is a poem I wrote conveying my feelings on the mysteries that confront us.

Eternity went by without me knowing,
I did not feel, I did not see,
More nothing than black
Time limitless and unfelt
A thing of a world I do not yet belong to
But where was I?
The vary things now my body are scattered
Consciousness yet to be uncovered
Then like a spark from a flint it exists
But why in this speck of history?
Why in this space?
Only to be put out by time, unstoppable as the wind
Going on into eternity just as it has come from
What happens to my consciousness than?
A nothing that is less than black just as before?
No sight, no sense, no memory
From stardust, to earth-dust, back to stardust
This fate of body unavoidable
The fate of soul unknowable
But what is the origin of this soul?
Did it only exist as humans existed?
What was the threshold in evolution that sparked the soul?
The unanswerable ‘why is everything’ gives hope
For why would everything be anything if not for something?
The destiny of the body is clear, while the destiny of our consciousness is not
Will the recognition of an I fade with the body?
The I that I know does not know enough to know the answer.

          The moment is forever fleeting, eternal and real. As stated in the movie ‘Waking Life’; Life is not a dream; many of us are sleep walking in out waking state and wake walking in our dreams (either way won’t do us any good). As Speed Levich states in this same film: The world may very well be an exam to see whether we can rise to our direct experiences. Our ‘eyesight’ for us to see beyond, ‘matter’ for our curiosity, ‘doubt’ a test of our vitality.

          One of Richard Dawkins’s finest lines conveys a sense of his passion very beautifully:

After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with colour, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it?

          Co-authoring this thing we call life, we must choose to write passionately. That is why life and all its mysteries are my passion.

          Time must not be wasted.

Technorati Tags: ,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment